Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wiring

I am still struggling with the wiring concept for our proposed layout from a construction standpoint. Since we are likely to be modular for quite some time this has to be quick and easy to set up and tear down. I am shooting for way less time than N-Trak. I think the drawer idea is super, but what bothers me is we are likely not to have the same modules in the layout at all times. It seems this could confuse the system. And we don't want to be running a new set of wires back to the drawer each time we add a module. One solution might be to have each module as a detection zone, but this still requires a set of wires for each module and doesn't tell the computer which module it is. And how long should the wires be? I understand that every section does not have to be a detection zone so we could require certain modules to be in specific places every time we set-up. But this could severely limit flexibility. I wonder if it is possible to add a decoder to each module that could identify it to the computer, or could we use bluetooth to hook it up?

I think all the other problems of construction are fairly easy to solve. This one has me running in circles. We need everyones input on how this can be done. No idea is a bad one, but no ideas is bad. We need true plug and play for this.

No comments: