Thursday, November 15, 2007

Track Layout Planning



I did considerable research on the various track planning software packages that were available. I was able to download and test 3 different applications before I finally settled on XTrkCad.

This versatile (and free) program took a little getting used to, but once I figured out the controls I was off to making track plans.

Since I wanted to run both a passenger and freight train, I needed at least two main lines that could be divided into two power blocks so I could run both trains simultaneously. I also wanted a passenger depot area, a freight area, and an engine maintenance facility.

The size and basic layout also provided me room to eventually build a mountain that could support a tunnel on the outer main line. This mountain would also be the water source with a waterfall providing the start for the creek and river.

Lastly, the design would provide space for the buildings and the roadway in the center of the layout.

Now that the track design was complete, and I had a track component inventory, I was ready to order the rest of the track ...

No comments: