Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Scale and Layout Size

There was considerable time spent deciding which scale (N or HO) I would use for my layout. I very much liked the general size and detail of the HO engines and cars, but the resulting size of an interesting layout would be too large for my requirements.

I wanted a table top unit that could easily be stored in the garage when not in use. Without a basement or extra room to devote to the hobby, I was limited to a size I could carry back and forth when needed.

The price of the track, turnouts, electrical, engines, cars and accessories was also a factor. After much on-line shopping, I saw that there was very little difference between the scales, but that in general, N scale was slightly cheaper.

The choice of N scale led to the next big choice ... layout and bench configuration. More on that next time ...

No comments: