Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Mountain Takes Shape


With the layout design complete I was able to start working in earnest on the landscaping. The first thing I tackled was the building of Santa Fe Mountain in Sedona, AZ. While the prototypical railroad did not really run through Sedona, I could not resist bring the beautiful red rocks into my layout.


After attaching 4 layers of 2" foam using liquid nails, I began to carve the general shape of the mountain. I wanted to run the outer main line rails through a tunnel in the mountain, so I laid out the portals and the approaches.


Once this was completed, I blended the various layers using lightweight spackle compound, and started to design the rocks and rock faces. I used two approaches here ... the first were custom rock outcroppings using Hydocal plaster molds, and the second was the sheer "Rubber Rock" face from Cripplebush.


Both of these approaches worked great and before long I had my mountain in place with all the beautiful rock detail.

No comments: